Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Smart Consumers?

The fact that “crack babies” to me are not real is just mind blowing. I remember this being a huge phenomenon and something that is still referenced to very frequently. I am not sure if it was just because the media got their hands no this story or what. What I do know is that this portrays media in a very nice light at the very least.



According to an article written by Claire Coles, she writes on the fact that the topic of research had very little backbone on it yet. The research done was practically the only research done at the time. Looking further into that research Claire Coles also saw that the research was completely biased. It suggested that any negative attributes seen in these developing children were attributed only to the crack that the mother used. Disregarding the fact that babies are born with defects on a daily bases that had mothers that did not used the substance. The majority of the mothers who were originally tests also were under the influence of other drugs through the course of their pregnancy. It is very rare to find a mother that has just encountered one illicit substance without ever touching another. Which is one of the many valid points brought up by Claire Coles.
 

Her last point I would like to briskly highlight is the researchers themselves. Usually we, as consumers, consider our source to be totally and completely subjective. If someone creates a project who is to say it is not aloud to be published?


Coles, C. (2003).  Saying “goodbye” to the “crack baby”. Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 15(5), 290-292. Doi: 10.1016/0892-0362(93)90024-I

No comments:

Post a Comment